Specialist Advice and Support

When school-based provision at the most personalised level is failing to make a difference, there is the need for the school to seek specialist support and advice. Specialist support and advice may be available within the school but for many this support would be external.

The Rose Report, Identifying and Teaching Children and Young People with Dyslexia and Literacy Difficulties (2009), refers to the need for external support and advice. 

“A good indication of the severity and persistence of dyslexic difficulties can be gained by examining how the individual responds or has responded to well-founded intervention. External support and advice can be from an educational psychologist, specialist teacher and other professionals as necessary, such as a speech and language therapist or occupational therapist.”

The Rose Report (2009) 

Local Authorities must publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision they expect to be made across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled.It must include arrangements providers have in place for identifying the particular SEN of children and young people, how they will consult with parents, and how schools can secure the services and provision required by children who have SEND.

Schools have additional duties under the SEND Regulations 2014. Schools must publish more detailed information about their arrangements for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with SEND.

The specialist, through an in-depth comprehensive assessment, may find reasons why the pupil is failing to progress. A number of these pupils will have cooccurring difficulties so it is likely that for some, more than one specialist may be involved in this process. The pupil’s individual strengths and weaknesses will be examined in depth and the information gained can then shape the support. Where a learning difficulty is identified that requires special educational provision to be made, the pupil’s teachers will be made aware that the pupil requires additional SEN provision. The school will have its own internal processes for communicating what that provision is and the outcomes that are expected as a result. 

What article would you like to read?

1. Choosing an Intervention for pupils with Literacy Difficulties and/or Dyslexia

2. Guidance for schools

3. Children with Persistent Literacy Difficulties

4. Specialist Advice and Support

5. Use of the Term ‘Dyslexia’

6. Role of the Specialist Teacher

7. Identifying and Teaching Children and Young People with Dyslexia and Literacy Difficulties (2009)

8. SEN Provision


back to top